Sunday, November 13, 2011

Figure Skating Fashion Minute: NHK Trophy 2011--The Men!


Oh The Boys...


Gold Medal Boy: Japan's Daisuke Takahashi skated an electrifying Free Skate which got him the top prize. His Free Skate costume was not a favorite of mine, unfortunately. I am just NOT A FAN of the tucked-in shirt, black pants and belt look. A BELT!!! Seriously???

This weekend was the Grand Prix of Japan--also called the 2011 NHK Trophy--held in Sapporo Japan. The event is organized by the Japan Skating Federation. As is custom, I have to give my "Nick V. Figure Skating Costumes" Two Cents to all the Grand Prix of Figure Skating series. And of course, this was no exception.

First up: The Men...


Daisuke Takahashi of Japan: I wasn't a fan of his Free Skate costume (see above why) but I did like his Short Program ensemble. He's known for his (slightly) over-the-top costumes but for this season, they've been pretty tame. Daisuke is looking leaner and meaner--and also more sensual (yes, I said that!), and I really liked his "In The Garden of Souls" look. The slicked back hair, the fluttery chiffon with sequins top...the overall effect was actually quite disarming and beautiful at the same time.

Takahiko Kozuka of Japan: Silver Medalist Takahiko Kozuka wore the same outfit for his "Fantasia for Nausicaa" Free Skate that he wore at Skate America. I didn't like it then and I still don't like it...The tucked-in shirt, black pants and belt from "Men's Wearhouse" is TIRED and oh so 1992.

Ross Miner of the USA: Ross got the third place Bronze (Go Ross!) and I liked his "The Untouchables" Free Skate costume. It was sleek and modern. I would have liked a little color but the blue-black contrast seaming and detail was enough for me. He looked like a detective in the future--like in the year 2052!

Samuel Contesti of Italy: 4th place Contesti wore a very creative and "costume-y" ensemble for his Free Skate to "La Vie En Rose" ,"Ca Gaze" and "La Valse a Mile Temps". He looked like a cross between a French waiter in some Parisian Left Bank Cafe and Marcel Marceau:

The red-and-white striped shirt, the suspenders/braces and the neck scarf were fun and classic Contesti! I guess I was just happy to see a male competitor NOT wearing a belted ensemble and giving an interesting interpretation to the music he was skating to.

Tomas Verner of the Czech Republic: 5th Place Tomas skated his Short Program to the hip hop version of "Carmina Burana" wearing a very interesting all black with belted detail costume that looked like a futurist tux and straight jacket from a sanitarium--all at the same time! I actually liked it. Just for the fact that it was different.

Now, for his "Sing Sing Sing" and "La Vie En Rose" Free Skate, he went with a bright blue and bubblegum pink argyle/diamond print oversized necktie, suspenders, white pleated tuxedo shirt and black pants. Yes, I LOVE pops of color and therefore, me likey--I'd love to have an ascot in that print and Lord knows I would even wear it!!

Tatsuki Machida of Japan: His "Don Quixote" Free Skate costume was one of my favorites. The black with gold applique bolero jacket, pants and white shirt were a perfect backdrop to the music.

Brandon Mroz of the USA: Finally, there is Brandon Mroz. Brandon mesmerized the Sapporo Japan audience as he landed a quadruple lutz in an international competition at the 2011 NHK Trophy in his "Mack The Knife" Short Program. It was UNBELIEVABLE!! His black shirt, pin-striped trousers and undone bow tie costume worked seamlessly with the music. Ten "Nick Figure Skating Costume Points"!

For his Free Skate to Bizet's "Carmen", he wore a blood-red ruffled neckline shirt, a sleeveless Toreador sequined-and-flower appliqued vest and very skinny high-waited bull-fighter pants. His costume was Fabulous. I liked a vest interpretation to the iconic Toreador jacket. He did look a little like a Bulgarian folklore dancer but I was happy he "gave" costume! Unfortunately, his skating fell short and did not have the passion that a "Carmen" performance should exude. I think he needs to go to Madrid or Sevilla, take in a Flamenco show, get some lessons or go see a bullfight! Hopefully, next time his performance and skating will match the passion of his costume.

*Next Up: More Grand Prix of Japan/NHK Trophy 2011 Costumes! Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...