Sunday, November 13, 2011

Figure Skating Fashion Minute: Cup of China Costume Wrap-Up--The Ladies & Pairs!


The Ladies & Pairs' Ladies Dazzle in China...in their Costumes!


Neon Kostner: Italy's Carolina Kostner (who captured the Gold at the Cup of China here) dazzled in her Short Program neon yellow/green costume to "Allegretto From Trio. No. 2" by Shostakovich--Kostner's costumes for this season are fabulous--love them both, especially this side gathered "wrap dress" style with heavily encrusted crystal top and sleeve detail.

Two weekends ago was the Grand Prix of Figure Skating Cup of China 2011-2012--I talked about the Ice Dancers and the Men previously on my lovely blog site. In the meantime, I had to take a week-long trip to NYC for business meetings and to film backstage and Pink Carpet Coverage of the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show (which will air on CBS on November 29th!) for Look TV, a new YouTube Channel. Therefore, I got behind (just a little bit) on my bloggin' (Note to Self: must hire blogging assistants!!). Anyhow, better late than never for my Figure Skating Costume Fans here...And don't worry, I know that Grand Prix Japan is happening right now, so I'll have my "Nick V Figure Skating Costume Two Cents" on that later of course! For now...here are my thoughts on the Ladies and the Pairs.

Let's begin with the Ladies:


Kanako Muarakami of Japan: I LOVED Kanako's Free Skate costume which she wore skating to "Violin Concerto in E minor, Op. 64" by Mendelssohn. The light blue, aqua and turquoise colors were exquisite and so was the bugle beaded-and-crystal "bow" detail of the torso/top section of her costume. One of my favorite Ladies costumes of the season for sure!

For her Short Program to "Violin Partitia No. 2" by Johann Sebastian Bach, Murakami also went with a colorful (this time lilac, raspberry, light violet with hints of olive green tones) costume. It was a "one-shoulder" style featuring swirl designs, light beading and a flower choker. I think she could have done without that faux rose neck detail (looked a bit 70's for me) but the rest was just right. And both costumes are a HUGE improvement over last year!

Mirai Nagasu of USA: Cup of China 2011 Silver Madalist Mirai Nagasu wore one of the most High Fashion and prettiest costumes for her Free Skate at the Cup of China. I'm "NICK OBSESSED" with it!

She skated to "Adagio" from Spartacus and naturally, she wore a "Grecian Goddess" draped/gathered one-shoulder baby-blue costume with shoulder and midriff pieces that hinted at "Spartan" costume touches. She gets a TEN out of Ten in my Figure Skating Costume Book (didn't really know I had a "Figure Skating Costume Book" but now I do, I guess!).

Adelina Sotnikova of Russia: Adelina Adelina Adelina...She got the 3rd place Bronze Medal for her skating at Cup of China 2011. For her Short Program to Ravel's "Bolero", her costume was a little on the kitschy side. The cascading flower detail looked a bit cheap and slightly garish (as opposed to elegant and UBER feminine which is what I think of when I hear "Bolero"). The overall effect was "Cirque du Soleil" in Reno, Nevada (oops!).

But...for her Short Program was skated to Ravel's Boléro, and she done BROUGHT IT! Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you, an ELECTRIC BLUE stretch and chiffon JUMPSUIT. In an international competition! Three words: you go girl!

This costume was Krazee Planet Pluto Princess Love! I'm not so sure what this has to do with the Spanish Dance Boléro (as the composer intended), but who cares?! She looks like some background dancer/character from a Fellini movie--or Roger Vadim's "Barbarella", for that matter! It's SOOOO out there, that I get it...and secretly love it.

Now...my Two Favorite Pairs:

Kavaguti and Smirnov of Russia: The Gold Medalists in Pairs at the Cup of China 2011-2012 Season were this Russian pair of Yuko Kavaguti and Alexander Smirnov. Kavaguti was born in Japan and has represented Japan, the USA and Russia and is fluent in all three languages. She gave up her Japanese citizenship to compete at the Olympics with Smirnov (Japan does not allow dual citizenship). But back to the Costumes:

For their Free Skate to "Clair de Lune" by Debussy, she wore a fabulous royal blue long-skirted costume that has shirred, a one shoulder neckline silhouette and the most exquisite jeweled crystal strap detail. In terms of fashion, one can take that dress to the floor and it would make for a very impacting runway look (can you tell I loved it?!). The color--and crystals-- of her costume were brought back to him, in terms of Smirnov's blouson top and silver crystal-studded waistband. I have to admit that I wasn't a fan of his top, but, I was just happy that he wasn't wearing ALL BLACK. I also wasn't sure the length of the skirt would work on tiny Yuko, but because of the fact that the designer used only one layer of chiffon and kept it light, it was perfect.

Zhang and Zhang of China: My other favorite costumes for the Pairs, were China's Zhang and Zhang. They clinched the Silver Medal for China--at Cup of China--and both of their Free Skate and Short program Costumes were on point! For their Free Skate, they skated to Liszt's "Totentanz". I really liked her lilac-colored costume with draped bust and midriff and crystal vertical detailing. It was VERY Donatella Versace.

I am normally not a fan of those shoulder-exposing sleeves, however, here they worked. Again, I wasn't even looking at him (sorry!). Her very romantic but still Milan Fashion Week Runway Chic costume was all that I needed to focus on.

I also thought that their Short Program costumes were just as high fashion as their Free Skate. They skated to "A Transylvanian Lullaby" by John Morris and therefore, there was a slight Dracula touch to their ensembles. But so more modernized and fashionista. Notice her costume in particular. The black bust piece and the Empire shaped torso and skirt plus the red sequin vertical accents were perfect and very fashion with a capital F. Again, one can take that costume, extend it, make a cocktail dress or a gown, and look FABULOUS! Therefore, me likey!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...